Hurricane Sandy in the River Wards
Now that the worst of the massive hurricane has passed, neighbors throughout the River Wards must cope with the aftermath. Here’s what we know about flooding, power outages and other damage throughout the River Wards. This information is compiled from various news outlets, government web sites and Twitter feeds, as well as information from neighbors on community message boards online:
As of 5 p.m. Tuesday:
- Fishtown’s Penn Treaty Park, at Delaware Avenue and Beach Street, had experienced some flooding from the Delaware River, leaving a line of debris across the park; a neighbor’s photo showed bottles, wood and other trash scattered across the grass.
- Downed power lines had been reported in front of Frankford Hall on the 1500 block of Frankford Ave.
- A utility pole with a transformer atop it, at Richmond Street and Allegheny Avenue, had been nearly knocked over Monday night. PECO was on the scene.
- One neighbor reported a power outage from Frankford Avenue to Front Street and Huntington to Sergeant streets.
- PECO had reported power outages for over 50,000 of its over 679,900 customers.
- A 100-year old garage in Fishtown, at Memphis and Huntingdon streets, was reported to have collapsed with the owner’s Harley Davidson motorcycle inside.
- The Friends of Port Richmond’s Campbell Square reported on its Facebook page that “all looks good in Campbell Square after Hurricane Sandy!”
- According to the Port Richmond Town Watch’s Facebook page and various posts on Fishtown.us and Fishtown’s Twitter feed, most neighbors are still planning on participating in Halloween trick-or-treating tomorrow evening.
A link to The Philadelphia Inquirer’s travel update: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20121030_Travel-at-a-Glance.html?ref=twitter.com
We will continue to update. Have anything to share? Email email@example.com with "Sandy" in the subject line.