It is recommended that anyone 9 years or older should consume three servings of dairy a day to get the proper nutrients dairy provides.
Not only does dairy contain calcium, it contains other important nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin B12, potassium, magnesium, protein and many more.
These all not only help to prevent osteoporosis, they help to reduce hypertension, and can help manage weight.
Lactose intolerant or vegan? There are plenty of other ways to get these nutrients.
Some great ways to add dairy to the diet include:
• Prepare instant soup with fat-free milk instead of water.
• Mix granola or whole grain cereal with fat-free milk or yogurt.
• Dip fresh fruit in frozen, nonfat yogurt.
• Substitute low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt for mayonnaise in tuna, egg or potato salad.
• For a sweet, delicious and healthy treat, place chocolate milk in an ice cube tray and then put it in the freezer. Then, add the cubes to cold coffee or fat-free milk.
If you do not eat dairy for any reason, check out these ways to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you miss from dairy:
• Soy products (milk, juice, tofu, soybeans, etc.).
• Fresh fruits and vegetables (broccoli, bok choy, okra, kiwi, mangoes, avocadoes, etc.).
• Nuts and seeds (peanut butter, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.).
• Other (quinoa, lentils, beans, etc.). ••