Contractors must show license

Con­tract­ors who sub­mit per­mit ap­plic­a­tions to the De­part­ment of Li­censes and In­spec­tions will have to sub­mit “tax clear­ance” forms and show they have in­sur­ance. Con­tract­ors also must show they have in­sur­ance cov­er­age for gen­er­al li­ab­il­ity, work­ers com­pens­a­tion and auto­mobile li­ab­il­ity.

Tax clear­ance means the con­tract­or has shown he or she has paid all his busi­ness taxes and has the re­quired li­cense to do busi­ness, said L&I spokes­wo­man Re­becca Swan­son.

“It’s mak­ing sure the con­tract­or is above board,” she said. If he’s not pay­ing his taxes, she asked, what else isn’t he do­ing cor­rectly?

The ne­ces­sary tax and “cer­ti­fic­ate of in­sur­ance” forms can be found on­line at­en­ue

These new re­quire­ments as well as the fol­low­ing changes in the Phil­adelphia Code be­come ef­fect­ive Jan. 1.

Also, con­tract­ors are now re­quired to dis­play their li­cense num­bers on ad­vert­ise­ments, sta­tion­ery, pro­pos­als, con­tracts, job sites, their main places of busi­ness and on busi­ness vehicles dis­play­ing the names of con­tract­ing busi­nesses.

Li­cense num­bers on vehicles must be at least 2 inches high and clearly vis­ible. Con­tract­ors can not sell or trans­fer li­censes.

Primary con­tract­ors on per­mit­ted job sites must post the fol­low­ing on job sites oth­er than res­id­en­tial build­ings of two units or less:

— Ad­dress of con­struc­tion site

— Prime con­tract­or’s busi­ness name, busi­ness ad­dress and con­tract­or li­cense num­ber

— A list of all sub­con­tract­ors

— Doc­u­ment­a­tion that the con­tract­or has all re­quired li­censes

— Prop­erty own­er’s name

— Cop­ies of all per­mits for the job

— A copy of the con­tract­or’s in­sur­ance cer­ti­fic­ate.

The city has ad­vised li­censed con­tract­ors of these changes in two mail­ings sent out in Decem­ber, Swan­son said.

L&I’s new six-mem­ber Con­struc­tion Site Task Force checks on per­mits, li­censes and in­sur­ance, she said. If, for ex­ample, the task force dis­cov­ers a con­tract­or’s in­sur­ance has ex­pired while he is still work­ing on a job, it will shut down the job un­til the con­tract­or can prove he has ac­quired in­sur­ance.

“We catch as many as we can,” she said.

She urged res­id­ents to call 311 to re­port un­li­censed con­tract­ors or un­per­mit­ted work. ••

You can reach at

comments powered by Disqus