Three men shot and killed in Lawncrest home

The re­cent death toll in Lawn­crest grew last Thursday. In fact, the tally doubled as in­truders ex­ecuted three men in­side a twin home on Mar­tins Mill Road, ac­cord­ing to po­lice.

The vic­tims in­cluded 25-year-old Keurlin Charles and two oth­er men whose iden­tit­ies po­lice have not re­leased pub­licly. Of­ficers from the 2nd dis­trict went to the house on Mar­tins Mill near Ox­ford Av­en­ue shortly after 3 p.m. in re­sponse to a re­port of a per­son scream­ing. The cops found two vic­tims on the first floor and an­oth­er on the second floor. All had been shot in the head. Two of them had been bound with duct tape.

Of­fi­cially, the po­lice de­part­ment has re­leased no in­form­a­tion about pos­sible sus­pects or motives for the slay­ings. But on Fri­day, The Phil­adelphia In­quirer re­por­ted that in­vest­ig­at­ors sus­pect the epis­ode may have been drug-re­lated. The pa­per cited in­form­a­tion from Capt. James Clark, com­mand­er of the po­lice Hom­icide Unit.

Clark said fur­ther that de­tect­ives are look­ing in­to pos­sible ties between the Mar­tins Mill case and a double murder that oc­curred on Jan. 19 about a mile away. Donna Muller, 49, and her son, Richard Muller, 22, of the 300 block of Stevens St., died when someone entered their home and shot them each in the back of the head.

Po­lice have made no ar­rests and named no sus­pects in the Jan. 19 case. A sixth slay­ing oc­curred nearby on Jan. 24 when someone shot Linden Henry, 32, of Wil­low Grove, as he sat in the driver’s seat of a white Ca­dillac that was parked on the 5700 block of Wey­mouth St.

Re­gard­ing last week’s triple murder, po­lice have said there were no signs of forced entry, al­though parts of the house had been ran­sacked, as if the killers were search­ing for something. Charles re­portedly lived there with re­l­at­ives. City prop­erty re­cords show that Mar­ie Charles bought the house in 2001.

Clark re­portedly said on Fri­day that Keurlin Charles was found in an up­stairs bed­room with his his hands and feet bound by duct tape. An­oth­er vic­tim was found in a sim­il­ar po­s­i­tion down­stairs. The third vic­tim, also found on the first floor, was not bound and may have ar­rived at the house after the in­truders.

Clark re­portedly said that there are sim­il­ar­it­ies in the meth­ods used by the killers in the Jan. 19 and Feb. 13 cases. Po­lice have not said what if any prop­erty had been stolen from the house. ••

You can reach at

comments powered by Disqus