The recent Lawncrest Community Association meeting attracted a bunch of local elected officials and high-ranking police officials.
The group included City Councilwoman Marian Tasco, state Sen. Tina Tartaglione and state Reps. Mark Cohen, Dwight Evans and Cherelle Parker.
Also on hand were Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel, Chief Inspector Dennis Wilson and Capt. Frank Palumbo, commander of the 2nd Police District.
In other news from the Jan. 30 meeting:
• Councilwoman Tasco and LCA president Bill Dolbow honored Gary Weaver for his work with the community association and the Lawncrest 4th of July Committee.
Tasco presented him with a Council citation, while Dolbow gave him a trophy. Weaver’s wife, Linda, joined him at the meeting.
• Tacony Academy Preparatory Charter High School CEO Sterling Garris and intern coordinator Donielle Jones spoke of a Career Steps Program that will be offered this fall.
Students will be seeking internships and job shadowing opportunities. Any local businesses and organizations interested in participating can email Garris at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jones at email@example.com
• Lawncrest Library, at 6098 Rising Sun Ave. (at Benner Street), has several upcoming events.
A Teen Library Council meets on the first Tuesday of the month from September through May.
The Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. will lead a Reading Buddy Read-A-Thon on Saturday, Feb. 15, from 1 to 3 p.m. Children will receive a free book and snacks.
Craig Collins will perform a Money Matters & Magic Show on Tuesday, Feb. 18, at 4 p.m.
For more information, call 215-685-0549.
• The Philadelphia Protestant Home, at 6500 Tabor Ave., will sell custom jewelry on Thursday, Feb. 13, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information, call 215-697-8086.
• Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, at 6001 Colgate St. (at Comly Street), offers Children of God Fun Nights on the first and third Wednesdays of every month.
Dinner is served at 6 p.m., followed by Bible studies and other discipleship activities for children and adults.
The program is free. Call 215-342-3535.
• Crescentville United Methodist Church Women’s Fellowship is selling pot pies and assorted dishes.
Items available for purchase are chicken, beef and shrimp pot pies; chicken/broccoli; chicken parmigiana; roast turkey platter; macaroni au gratin; and apple deep dish.
The deadline to order is Feb. 16.
All items must be picked up from 9:30 to 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 22.
For more information, call Sue Snyder at 215-885-7069 or the church office at 215-745-7115.
• Lawncrest Community Association will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 18, at 7 p.m. at St. William parish hall, at Argyle and Robbins streets. The guest speakers will be City Councilman David Oh; Dianne Murphy, community relations officer in the 2nd Police District; and the Rev. Patricia Neale, director of Feast of Justice. ••