Parkwood man to stand trial for fatal crash

A Park­wood man has been ordered to stand tri­al on al­leg­a­tions that he was driv­ing drunk with his preg­nant fi­ance and their 16-month-old son as pas­sen­gers when he caused a two-car crash on Red Li­on Road last Oc­to­ber, killing the wo­man and her un­born son.

Troy Hall, 22, will be ar­raigned in Com­mon Pleas Court on April 15 for charges in­clud­ing hom­icide by vehicle, hom­icide by vehicle while DUI, DUI (first of­fense), in­vol­un­tary man­slaughter, en­dan­ger­ing the wel­fare of chil­dren and reck­less en­dan­ger­ment. Mu­ni­cip­al Court Judge Teresa Carr Deni ordered the tri­al fol­low­ing a March 25 pre­lim­in­ary hear­ing.

The crash oc­curred at about 11:12 p.m. on Oct. 21 on Red Li­on Road near Hal­de­man Av­en­ue in Bustleton. Hall and his fi­ance, Anna Mar­ie Drum­mond, 23, were trav­el­ing east­bound in a 2005 Mer­cury Mar­quis with the in­fant se­cured in a child car seat. Ac­cord­ing to po­lice, the vehicle was trav­el­ing side-by-side with a 1994 Mar­quis be­ing driv­en by Hall’s friend. A 19-year-old wo­man and 1-year-old boy also oc­cu­pied the 1994 Mar­quis.

Mo­ments after the cars crossed Hal­de­man Av­en­ue, Hall lost con­trol of his vehicle, hit a me­di­an strip, veered to the right, struck the oth­er car, smashed in­to a tree and burst in­to flames. The oth­er car spun out and came to rest in the left east­bound lane, po­lice said.

Bystand­ers pulled Hall and the 16-month-old from the burn­ing wreck­age, but Drum­mond, of the 4300 block of I St. in Ju­ni­ata Park, re­mained trapped and died at the scene, along with her un­born child. Hall suffered a broken leg, while the child suffered a la­cer­ated lip.

The driver of the oth­er car was un­injured, while his two pas­sen­gers were hos­pit­al­ized for ob­ser­va­tion with no ser­i­ous in­jur­ies. Wit­nesses re­portedly told po­lice that the cars were trav­el­ing at ex­cess­ive speed on the four-lane di­vided road, which has a 35 mph speed lim­it. In­vest­ig­at­ors tested both drivers for in­tox­ic­a­tion. Hall pos­ted 10 per­cent of $50,000 bail on Jan. 18 and was freed pending tri­al. ••

You can reach at

comments powered by Disqus