Fatal shooting stemmed from video game dispute

Ma­lik An­der­son

The fatal shoot­ing of a Somer­ton teen at a neigh­bor­hood con­struc­tion site on Aug. 19 was even more “per­son­al” than even hom­icide de­tect­ives might’ve ini­tially ima­gined.

Last Wed­nes­day, au­thor­it­ies charged a boy­hood friend of the vic­tim for car­ry­ing out the ex­e­cu­tion-style slay­ing, which res­ul­ted from a dis­pute over a stolen video game con­sole, po­lice said.

Ma­lik An­der­son, 19, of the 1800 block of Tom­lin­son Road, al­legedly lured his long­time pal, Daquan Mar­quis Crump, 19, to a con­struc­tion site at 10175 North­east Ave. and shot him 10 times in the face and head with a .22-caliber pis­tol, ac­cord­ing to Capt. James Clark, the hom­icide unit com­mand­er.

“In [An­der­son’s] mind, this is worth a hu­man life, ‘Be­cause I didn’t get a cut of a 60-dol­lar profit from a used Play­Sta­tion game, I’m gonna stand over and shoot a kid I’ve been friends with since I was 10 or 11 years old,’” Clark said dur­ing a news con­fer­ence last Wed­nes­day. “It’s really un­con­scion­able and very, very sad.”

The shoot­ing oc­curred at about 5:30 a.m. that Monday. An­der­son al­legedly told de­tect­ives that he and Crump, of the 9900 block of Hal­de­man Ave., had been at an­oth­er friend’s Somer­ton home, but de­cided to leave. Neither teen had a car. An­der­son con­vinced Crump to cut through the con­struc­tion site, which was empty of work­ers at the time.

“They were go­ing to an­oth­er loc­a­tion and [An­der­son] sort of lured him in­to this aban­doned con­struc­tion site,” Clark said. “[An­der­son] waited un­til he got a couple steps in front of him. He pulled out a gun [and] shot him once in the back of the head. The de­cedent didn’t know what hit him. He went down and [An­der­son] stood over top of him and fired nine more times.”

A con­struc­tion work­er dis­covered Crump’s corpse at 7:19 a.m. Crump was pro­nounced dead at the scene. Po­lice are still in­vest­ig­at­ing An­der­son’s ac­tions fol­low­ing the slay­ing. Po­lice re­covered the murder weapon from a re­fri­ger­at­or in An­der­son’s home.

Ac­cord­ing to Clark, An­der­son told de­tect­ives that he and Crump had planned pre­vi­ously to steal an­oth­er friend’s PS3 game sys­tem, sell it and share the pro­ceeds. But Crump car­ried out the theft on his own and re-sold the game for $60. He did not share the pro­ceeds, an­ger­ing An­der­son.

In­vest­ig­at­ors be­lieve that An­der­son ac­ted alone. They ar­res­ted him “without in­cid­ent” at his home at about 5 a.m. last Wed­nes­day, Clark said.

In the hours fol­low­ing the slay­ing and with de­tect­ives try­ing to gen­er­ate in­vest­ig­at­ive leads, Clark de­scribed the epis­ode as “very, very bru­tal” and “very, very per­son­al,” not know­ing at the time who was re­spons­ible for the crime.

De­tect­ives later learned that the al­leged shoot­er and his tar­get had been with oth­er friends throughout the night and early morn­ing lead­ing up to the killing.

“It was like five or six friends. They all hung out to­geth­er. They went to middle school to­geth­er. They went to high school to­geth­er. None of them really worked and they sort of bounced around from house to house, spent the night at each oth­er’s houses. And that’s what they were do­ing that night. They were at a couple of area 7-El­ev­ens and go­ing to each oth­er’s houses, just sort of hanging out, play­ing Play­Sta­tion and watch­ing TV,” Clark said.

“Quite hon­estly, you have five or six teen­agers who wer­en’t really do­ing a whole lot with their lives, just sort of hanging out. And [An­der­son] came up with this un­be­liev­able scheme. It’s bey­ond com­pre­hen­sion that he would kill his own friend like this.”

Crump re­portedly was a George Wash­ing­ton High School alum­nus. The school is mere yards from the murder scene. He had re­cently taken a job at a loc­al Wendy’s res­taur­ant. Po­lice found a back­pack con­tain­ing his work uni­form at the scene.

“[He] just re­cently got a job at Wendy’s be­cause his fam­ily sort of put him out be­cause he wasn’t do­ing any­thing,” Clark said.

The po­lice com­mand­er said de­tect­ives still were in­vest­ig­at­ing where An­der­son al­legedly ob­tained the murder weapon. They were also in­vest­ig­at­ing when and where the Play­Sta­tion theft may have oc­curred.

On­line court re­cords show no pri­or crim­in­al cases in­volving An­der­son, al­though he had “one or two very, very minor pri­ors,” Clark said. In ac­cord­ance with state law, de­fend­ants charged with cap­it­al murder are not eli­gible for bail. An­der­son is be­ing held at Cur­ran-From­hold Cor­rec­tion­al Fa­cil­ity pending a Sept. 18 pre­lim­in­ary hear­ing. ••

You can reach at wkenny@bsmphilly.com.

comments powered by Disqus