The city has scheduled its sixth annual Philly Spring Cleanup for Saturday, April 13. City residents and organizations can become involved by registering a project site for cleanup or by volunteering on April 13. City residents and organizations who wish to participate should visit www.PhillySpringCleanup.com. The deadline for submitting a project is Friday, March 29.
Cleanup projects kick off at 9 a.m. and usually run to late morning or early afternoon. According to the Philly Cleanup Web site, several projects already are scheduled at the following Northeast Philly locations:
• Moss Playground, 5700 Torresdale Ave.
• Overington Park, 4600 Leiper St.
• Frankford Parks Group. Volunteers will meet at the Second Baptist Church of Frankford, 1801 Meadow St.
• Hayes Playground, 9900 President St.
• Parkwood. Volunteers will meet at state Sen. Mike Stack’s office in the Parkwood Shopping Center, 12317 Academy Road.
• Mayfair Memorial Playground, Rowland Avenue and Vista Street.
• Love Your Avenue Day. Volunteers will meet at the Tacony Library, 6742 Torresdale Ave.
• Houseman Recreation Center, 5091 Summerdale Ave.
• 3100 blocks of Disston St. and Longshore Ave. Volunteers will meet at Johnson Memorial United Methodist Church, Longshore Avenue and Hawthorne Street.
• Pegasus Riding Academy, 8297 Bustleton Ave.
• St. Martin of Tours, 5450 Roosevelt Blvd.
Last year’s cleanup involved a record 348 projects, according to the Streets Department. More than 12,000 volunteers participated, according to city figures, and they collected more than 1.9 million pounds of trash and 40,340 pounds of recyclables. Almost 5,000 recycling bins were distributed.
Over five cleanups, 5.8 million pounds of trash have been collected.
For more information, call the Streets Department’s Customer Affairs Unit at 215-686-5560, or call 3-1-1. The cleanup’s rain date is Saturday, April 20. ••