A former convent in Northeast Philadelphia is among eight properties the Archdiocese of Philadelphia has decided to sell at an auction slated for July 24 at the Sheraton Philadelpahia Downtown.
The former convent of St. Bartholomew’s parish in Wissinoming is one of the properties slated for the auction block. The others are in Bridesburg, Center City and Bucks and Montgomery counties.
The properties, which include three former convents and two former schools, are being sold as part of a plan to “reduce its deficit and build a financially stronger future,” according to a press release from the archdiocese.
“These sales are part of a larger effort to be good stewards of all of our resources,” Kenneth Gavin, director of communications for the archdiocese, said. “None of the buildings or parcels had been used recently and there was no indication that they would be utilized in the future, so the decision was made to sell them.”
A New Jersey-based realty company, Max Spann Real Estate and Auction Co., will conduct the live auction. The archdiocese worked with Max Spann last year to sell a beachfront summer residence for priests in Ventnor, N.J., for $4.5 million.
Gavin noted that most of the properties that will be included in the auction belong to individual parishes. The land parcels in Plumstead, Harleysville and Rydal are owned by the archdiocese.
“All parishes are autonomous and the archdiocese has no authority over their assets,” Gavin said, adding that funds realized from the sale of parish properties will revert to the respective parishes.
The auction is open to the public, but potential bidders must present a $25,000 certified check in order to participate.
Gavin said that he expects all of the properties to be sold during the auction.
“They have surplus properties that are no longer needed and right now they’re costing them a lot of money to maintain,” Bob Dann, Max Spann chief operations officer, said. “Instead of having to maintain them they’d like to stop the expenses and incur some revenue.”
Dann said it is likely the properties would be purchased by “builder or developer types.”
The auction is set to begin at 1 p.m. ••
WHAT’S FOR SALE?
• Former All Saints School and All Saints Convent – 4600 block of E. Thompson St., Bridesburg
• Former St. Bartholomew Convent – 5500 Harbison Ave., Wissinoming
• Former St. Michael Business School – 1500 block of N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia
• Former Our Lady of Hope Convent – 3500 block of N. 19th St., Philadelphia
• A 48-acre parcel – 5800 Wismer Road, Plumstead, Bucks County
• Approximately 29.5-acre parcel, zoned commercial – 570 Shelly Road, Harleysville, Montgomery County
• One-acre residential lot – Mill Road Circle, Rydal, Montgomery County