Two charged in North Philly slayings


Two men with con­nec­tions to the North­east have been charged with murder in the March 12 shoot­ing deaths of two teen­agers in a North Philly street, po­lice said on Tues­day.

Au­thor­it­ies iden­ti­fied the gun­men as Chris­toph­er Lloyd But­ler, 31, of the 1300 block of Filmore St. in Frank­ford, along with Zaiee Tal­bert, 26, of the 3100 block of Jud­son St. in the city’s Tioga sec­tion.

Tal­bert may have been stay­ing with a girl­friend in the North­east’s Academy Gar­dens sec­tion, ac­cord­ing to a pub­lished re­port that cited po­lice sources. Last week, po­lice said Tal­bert’s last known res­id­ence was an ad­dress in South­w­est Philly.

But­ler and Tal­bert al­legedly used an AK-47 as­sault rifle and a 9mm pis­tol to gun down Dex­ter Bowie, 17, and Johnath­an Stok­ley, 18, as the vic­tims rode an all-ter­rain vehicle on Ninth Street near Cam­bria Street shortly be­fore 8 p.m.

At least 30 rounds were fired dur­ing the am­bush, po­lice said at the time. Both vic­tims suffered mul­tiple wounds of the head and body and died that night at Temple Uni­versity hos­pit­al.

The ATV had been re­por­ted stolen from out­side the city, said po­lice, who have not dis­closed the killers’ sus­pec­ted motive. No in­jur­ies were re­por­ted to bystand­ers, al­though bul­lets re­portedly struck homes on the street.

But­ler and Tal­bert each are charged with two counts of murder, con­spir­acy, fire­arms vi­ol­a­tions and re­lated of­fenses.

Ac­cord­ing to court re­cords, au­thor­it­ies ar­res­ted But­ler on May 4 in­side the State Cor­rec­tion­al In­sti­tu­tion at Grater­ford, where he was already in­car­cer­ated for un­spe­cified crimes. But­ler’s most re­cent crim­in­al con­vic­tion in Phil­adelphia was in 1999 for drug deal­ing and con­spir­acy. He was sen­tenced to six to 23 months in pris­on, plus 12 months pro­ba­tion. He has pri­or drug and auto theft con­vic­tions.

He was ar­res­ted three times from 2007 to 2010 for of­fenses in­clud­ing fire­arms and drug vi­ol­a­tions, as well as theft and “es­cape,” but all cases were later with­drawn.

Ac­cord­ing to a pub­lished re­port, po­lice cap­tured Tal­bert on Sat­urday hid­ing at the Lans­ford Street home of a girl­friend.

Court re­cords show that Tal­bert was ar­res­ted at least sev­en times in Phil­adelphia from 2003 to ’06 and con­victed in five of those cases of crimes ran­ging from drug pos­ses­sion and dis­tri­bu­tion to ag­grav­ated as­sault and fire­arms vi­ol­a­tions. In 2006, he was sen­tenced to serve two to five years in pris­on in a drug-re­lated case. ••End­Frag­ment 

You can reach at

comments powered by Disqus