The Friends of Holmesburg Library, with a big assist from members of District Council 21’s Glaziers Local 252, has created a reading garden in the yard of the library, at 7810 Frankford Ave. (at Hartel Avenue).
Friends member Lisa Kucinskas, with help from her husband, Paul, weeded the ground, trimmed bushes and arranged for 15 cubic yards of mulch to be delivered to the library earlier this month.
The dozen union volunteers spread the mulch around in an area that also includes trees, flowers, benches and sitting stones.
The volunteers were Matt Trzaska, Suzi Person, Steve Metzger, Pat Carroll, Rich Berner, Mike Kurtz, Kyle Dolbo, Ryan Adams, Tommylee McDade, Kevin Kearney, Jim Riebow and Larry Hniedziejko.
The Friends group thanked the volunteers for their effort by treating them to pizza and drinks.
Later this spring and into the summer, the Friends will sponsor the following free activities:
• E-mail Basics for Adults. Thursday, June 7, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Jobs/Resume Prep for Adults. Thursday, June 14, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Music in the Studio (teen age summer reading kickoff program). Monday, June 18, 4 p.m.
• Professor Bob Interactive Science. Wednesday, June 20, 6:30 p.m.
• The Amazing Mr. Q’s Balloons & Magic Show and Friends Family Night. Monday, Aug. 6, 6:30 p.m.
In addition, people of all ages are welcome to take part in a summer reading make-and-take crafts activity on Thursdays in July at 3 p.m.
Meanwhile, the Friends will hold a raffle for four Phillies tickets in the mayor’s box at Citizens Bank Park.
The game will take place on Friday, July 6, against the Atlanta Braves.
Tickets cost $5, or three for $10. They will be for sale during the May 23, June 18 and June 20 programs.
The winner will be notified by phone on June 22.
For more information, call 215-685-8756 or check out the Friends of Holmesburg Library page on Facebook. ••EndFragment