The Lawncrest 4th of July Committee is looking ahead to its summer celebration and welcomed volunteers to a planning meeting Monday night at the Philadelphia Protestant Home.
Anyone interested in volunteering can call Steve at 215-651-8470.
In other news from the Jan. 17 Lawncrest Community Association meeting:
• St. William will hold a comedy night on Saturday, Feb. 11, in its parish hall, at Argyle and Robbins streets.
The show will feature master of ceremonies Joey Callahan and four comedians.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with a buffet dinner available at 7 p.m. The comedy show will follow at 8:30. A disc jockey will play music to close the night.
Tickets cost $35 in advance or $40 at the door. Tables of 10 cost $300.
The price includes dinner, beer, wine, soda and dessert. It’s a BYOB event. All guests must be age 21 or older.
Call Angie at 215-725-7792 or visit www.saintwilliamschool.org/comedy
• The Philadelphia Protestant Home will host a wellness symposium on Friday, Feb. 24, from noon to 3 p.m.
Area vendors will include chiropractors, nutritionists, the American Heart Association, Independence Blue Cross, Protestant Home, Silver Sneakers, Reliant Rehabilitation and Southeastern Home Health Services. There will also be blood pressure and cholesterol checks and breast cancer information.
The public is invited to attend. Call 215-697-8007.
• The Protestant Home has a Meals on Wheels program that delivers food to senior citizens who are unable to purchase or prepare meals.
The program serves Crescentville, Lawndale, Burholme, Fox Chase and Rhawnhurst.
The meals are delivered by volunteers weekdays from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., including holidays.
The hot lunch meals include soup, meat, a starch, vegetable, bread and butter, a half pint of milk and a dessert. Dinner consists of a cold sandwich, juice and a dessert.
The cost is $40 per week. No income verification is required.
Call 215-745-9066 or e-mail Lisa Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lawncrest Recreation Center, at Rising Sun Avenue and Comly Street, is accepting new members for its youth drama club. The club is for boys and girls ages 6 to 14 of all abilities. It offers voice, set design and costuming. Classes are held Fridays from 6 to 7:15 p.m. The cost is $10 per month.
The recreation center holds running exercise classes on Mondays and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Men and women of all abilities are welcome.
• The community association congratulated 2nd Police District Lt. Tommy Tomlin for his 40 years in the department.
The group held a moment of silence in memory of former neighborhood resident Charles O’Connor.
• Lawncrest Community Association will meet again on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m., at St. William parish hall. ••EndFragment