Another holiday season is at hand, just more than two weeks away, and it’s another holiday season when readers of the Northeast Times have again been so compassionate and caring in helping us to provide turkey dinners and presents to people in need in our region.
Reader contributions have been accomplishing this for a long time now, 56 years, through our annual Eleanor Smylie Community Fund, named in honor of the late Times owner and chairwoman who started the charitable endeavor all those years ago.
This season’s contributions have amounted to more than $5,000 — and are still arriving in the mail — enabling us to provide nourishing meals and presents to people in need who weren’t sure they’d be able to give their families a happy and blessed Christmas.
Once again, the generosity of Northeast Times readers has made this possible, brightening the holiday for people who truly need a helping hand. We will continue to publish the names of contributors until all have been acknowledged. If you’d prefer to remain anonymous, that’s fine.
We’d like to thank these latest contributors to the fund:
• Anonymous: $40
• Anonymous: $50
• The “7” Cats: Sugar, Snoozer, Cotton, Rootbeer, Neferritte, Mother and Rocco: $7
• Far Northeast Senior Citizens Inc.: $50
• Oxford Beverage: $1,000
• Kathleen Perpetua: $50
• Virginia Rininsland: $25
• A.M. Ross Auxiliary #1 Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War: $50
• Joseph Sands: $50
• The Stechers: $40
• Mary Toriello: $10
• Pat Walder: $25
• In memory of my dad, Chalie Campbell. Love and miss you. Love, Christine: $10
• In memory of Michele J. Lerario-Kirn: $50
• In memory of Catherine Speranzo: $25
This week’s contributions: $1,482
Amount forward: $3,707
Total to date: $5,189