Northeast Times

Suspect in barber’s slaying gets trial date

A man ac­cused of killing Frank­ford barber Ed­ward John “E.J.” Rem­bert in late 2009 will go on tri­al Jan. 23.

Randy John­son, 29, has been in cus­tody since he was brought back from Geor­gia in April 2010.

Dur­ing a pre­lim­in­ary hear­ing in June 2010, a wit­ness iden­ti­fied John­son as the man who had fatally shot Rem­bert in­side the Mighty Sharp Barber Shop at Glen­loch and Bridge streets on Dec. 28, 2009.

Po­lice had said a few days after the shoot­ing that Rem­bert had died early on Dec. 29 at Hahne­mann Uni­versity Hos­pit­al in Cen­ter City.

Dur­ing the 2010 hear­ing, As­sist­ant Dis­trict At­tor­ney Jen­nifer Bretschneider had said Rem­bert had been shot four times, the bul­lets passing through his body. The vic­tim had been hit in a shoulder, right arm, left arm and right side. Shell cas­ings for 9mm and 10mm hand­guns were found at the scene, she said.

Po­lice in­vest­ig­at­ing the case ob­tained a war­rant for John­son’s ar­rest in mid-March 2010. U.S. mar­shals took him in­to cus­tody in Douglas County, Ga., on March 25, 2010. He was brought back to Phil­adelphia and charged with Rem­bert’s murder on April 5, 2010.

John­son re­mains in cus­tody at the Phil­adelphia In­dus­tri­al Cor­rec­tion­al Cen­ter on State Road. Ac­cord­ing to court re­cords, his tri­al is sched­uled for 9 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 23, be­fore Com­mon Pleas Court Judge Lil­lian Ransom in Courtroom 807 of the Crim­in­al Justice Cen­ter, 13th and Fil­bert streets. ••

You can reach at jloftus@bsmphilly.com.

comments powered by Disqus